I was blind, but now I see.

So tonight at six Valeria and I headed over to visit a sister in our ward and to say hello, we're trying to meet everyone and put names and faces together so Katie was up on the list tonight. We rang the doorbell and her roommate Mary answered.

"Hi is Katie here?" We asked.
"Yeah, just one second, " she responded, "KATIE!"
"Yeah" Katie said from the kitchen.
"Someone's here to see you", her roommate responded.  
"Who?" Katie asked.
"It's me!" I said loudly from the doorway, just teasing, but was shocked as Katie's response rang back from the kitchen.
"Oh hi Stephanie! I'll be right there!"

Katie is blind. She is a college student living on her own and attending classes at the local college. She's one of the most cheerful people you will ever meet. As she came into the room she explained how she recognized my voice from talking with me at church one Sunday. I was amazed. What a gift. Talking with Katie for the next thrity mins or so really boosted my spirits. It had been kind of a rough week emotionally for me, and her kind spirit and genuine love for us made me feel like I wanted to stay and talk with her forever. Before we left though Katie showed us her bedroom and the computer she uses to help her do her homework. I noticed as we walked into her room a large bible on her desk. We asked what it was and Katie happily replied and showed us her Braille Bible. She even taught us how to read the letter "A".


She smiled and reminisced about when she was younger and her parents would make her sisters turn out the light and stop reading and go to sleep. She laughed and told us how she would sneak her books under her covers and keep reading because she didn't need a light to read! Ha, ha! I love it! What a great perspective! Katie, thanks for blessing my life tonight!

Comments

Lisa Marie said…
That's so cool! Glad she made you feel better. Sorry it has been a hard week. I love you!

Popular posts from this blog

You Know Where I'll Be

Broken Things.