Fillers for every boring moment in life.

A fellow therapist and wonderful mentor that I work with told me once, don't ever ask your clients to do anything you haven't already done yourself. Phew! That's a mantra. But I like it. So I'm trying to live it.

Well lately I've been asking several of my teenage clients to "Avoid pulling out your cell phone when you're bored. Do something....anything....else instead." In light of my previously mentioned mantra...I've been doing this myself. It's been quite fascinating. One...to realize how much I used to pull out my phone. In line in Kohl's to return holiday gifts...waiting at that one SUPER long light on your commute...at a party when everyone else is finishing up a game you got out of early...rainy day...no plans...you name it. Phones have become our fillers. Fillers for every boring moment in life.

As I have stopped turning to my phone when I'm bored something interesting has happened. I've read...a LOT. Finished 2 books already and it's the 3rd day of the year. I'm more productive. It's amazing what little things you can accomplish here and there in 2-5 mins of boredom. It's also forced my brain to think a little bit...to SOLVE a problem...even if that problem is only my boredom.

So far. I like it. And so do my teens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Know Where I'll Be

Broken Things.

I was blind, but now I see.